Wigan 1 Bolton 1: Johan Elmander sets home goal

WIGAN 1 -- BOLTON 1

Johan Elmander is desperate to bag a goal against Liverpool next Sunday to stop his Bolton pals winding him up about his Reebok record.

Elmander has turned his Trotters career around with a blistering start to the campaign.

The Swedish hitman has now scored five Premier League goals equalling his best tally since he arrived in England two years ago.

The 11m striker was written off as a flop after two miserable years, with fans keen to see the ex-Toulouse man ditched.

However, now Bolton are ready to extend his current deal beyond the end of the season.

Elmander, 29, remains coy on whether he intends to stay, but he is hoping to transfer his newfound goal touch to the Reebok Stadium after only bagging one league goal in front of his own fans since the opening day in 2008.

He said: I was asked in the dressing room why Im always scoring away from home, but thats the way it is.

Hopefully a home goal will come against Liverpool on Sunday. Im working as hard as I can and hopefully a goal will come.

I have always believed in myself, but this season has started well for me.

Ive never been a 20-goals-a-season man. Ive always been a striker who scores between 10 and 15 goals a season and makes goals and works hard.

In the Premier League, if you score goals, you get more accepted and I h! ope I ca n carry it on.

Wigan lost James McCarthy to an ankle injury after a reckless challenge from Fabrice Muamba midway through the opening half.

But Hugo Rodallega grabbed the lead for the hosts, firing in from Franco Di Santos pass just before the hour.

Elmander levelled after he pounced on a knockdown from strike partner Kevin Davies. The strike ruined a steady day for keeper Chris Kirkland, who was back in Wigans goal for the first time since August.

The ex-Liverpool man got a game because on-loan Bolton man Ali Al Habsi could not feature against his parent club.

The 29-year-old had not featured between the sticks since conceding 10 goals in the Latics opening two games and admits he will look at his options in January if he is still not playing.

Kirkland said: When Im fit, I want to play and Ive been injured enough and missed enough games, so when Im fit, I want to play.

It has been difficult, but I only have myself to blame. I didnt perform when I had the chance, so youve just got to be ready.

Trainings gone great and hopefully I can stay in, but well see."


World Soccer News | Video | Podcast | Gallery | Live Streaming

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunderland Away Jersey for 2010-11 Season: Photo

Arsenal Home Jersey for 2010-11 Season: New Photos Released

World Cup Trophies Stolen from FIFA Offices